I was making dinner last night and wanted to do something a little different. I love the oh so simple baked chicken breast with bread crumbs but after a while it gets boring. Seeing as we have no food in the house and need to go grocery shopping, my options of spicing up my chicken were limited. Have you ever looked around the cabinet or fridge and tried to get creative with whatever you have lying around? Well….I did just that. I looked in the cabinet and my default is always Campbell’s Cream of whatever Soups, but that just wasn’t doing it for me. I was getting frustrated and about to give up and do the plain baked chicken when I remembered I had this in my fridge!
Sabra roasted red pepper hummus! I can stuff the chicken with this! Here is how I made it:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray the bottom of 9×13 baking dish with Pam
- Butterfly 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I don’t cut through all the way, just a small slit down the side)
- Stuff inside of each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons (or more if you like) of roasted red pepper hummus (or any flavor)
- Dip chicken breasts in beaten egg, then dip into bread crumbs. Coat evenly (you can use a toothpick to hold them together but I didn’t need to since they were thick)
- Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes
And wallah! Baked chicken with a twist! I also sautéed some green beans in olive oil with S&P and onion.
Have you ever used something lying around to get creative with dinner? Was it a hit or a flop? This was certainly a hit for us and will be repeated!