Baby is asleep and it’s Friday evening. What to do? No babysitter means a night in! I can’t complain since we did get out last night and saw our favorite comedian, Jim gaffigan! It was a good show but hard to enjoy a night out during the week. So tonight, what better way to kick off the weekend with some much needed wine and chocolate!? Can’t think of anything better!
The hubby and I had a date night in Friday night after Mikayla went to bed. We tried making a new recipe for dinner. Shrimp and Grits! (chicken for me since I don’t like shrimp). We used Paula Deen’s recipe and it turned out awesome!
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
1. To make the shrimp and grits recipe, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.
2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.
3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.
I highly recommend it! It is time-consuming but we enjoyed some music and wine while cooking together and it was nice not to have to rush to eat! We already have a few ideas for our next dinner date night in. Stay tuned!
Rob and I enjoyed our first date night this past Saturday since January! It’s amazing how fast the time goes and you realize how long it has been since going out and enjoying a night out without baby in tow. We are fortunate to have met some fabulous friends on our street that were nice enough to come and watch Mikayla while we enjoyed a night out (thanks Matt & Vanessa!) We waited until Mikayla was down for the night (around 7:30).
Our friend recommended a great bar to try for drinks called the Cocktail Club downtown. It was A W E S O M E!! A hidden gem downtown that I would have never found if it wasn’t for the recommendation from our friend. It has old Charleston charm with modern touches. Located on the second floor, they have a main bar area, separate lounge areas and even an outdoor patio. It has great ambiance and a good selection of beverages.
What We Drank:
C: I had a fantastic Cosmopolitan. I have had my fair share of bad cosmos but this was perfect.
R: Antipasto Martini. Said it was “eh, ok”….a little too sweet for him.
NEXT UP…DINNER at Charleston’s finest steakhouse, Halls Chop House!
This place is amazing! We have been here once before and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Charleston. The wait staff is very friendly and the owner and his son always greet you at the door and thank you for coming! Southern Hospitality at its finest!
What We Ate:
C: Glass of Riesling, caesar salad, 8oz. filet with béarnaise sauce, mashed potatoes
R: Glass of Pinot Noir, caesar salad, prime rib, mashed potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise sauce
We had a great time and it was nice to finally get out and enjoy each other! I would like to say that we will have a date night at least once a month but that might include M in tow. Maybe we can aim for a date night without M every other month. We are traveling home to visit family at the end of May and we will DEFINITELY be having LOTS of date nights while we are there! 🙂
What does your favorite date night out consist of??