Our next house project is on the horizon! We are working on tile backsplash in the kitchen. Only problem…picking one!! We found two that we like from Lowes and brought them home to put on display for a few days in hopes to make a decision. Well, I don’t think I like either. Let me rephrase, I “like” both but I don’t LOVE them. I want to LOVE my backsplash. I am thinking that I don’t like the pattern? Maybe go with smaller squares? I like the idea of glass mosaic tile. I think we are going to try Home Depot and check out their selection. Below is a picture I took with my iphone (LOVE my new iphone ;-)). Which do you prefer?? (hubby likes the left) Any suggestions on color, shape, size, etc?
A little bit about me: I have a Bachelor’s degree in business management and I am a financial analyst for a government contracting company. Not exactly what I thought it would be but it will do for now. I have been doing some thinking and wanted to share with y’all and get your thoughts and feedback. Ever feel like you need a “thing” or a “something” to go to when you need a little me time? Like a hobby or passion for something? I must admit that I do not have a hobby nor anything that I am good at. Ever feel like you have zero talent? Some people are naturally gifted creatively and can take amazing photographs or build things from scratch. My hubby is very talented with woodwork and has his own space in the garage. He builds stuff all the time and it looks great. I wish I had a creative bone to create something of my own. I always see ideas for crafts or housing projects that someone created and wish I could come up with something similar!
I guess a start would be to write out a list of things I would enjoy doing and try to make something out of that list. Some friends of mine have something they do on the side that they love, such as flipping houses, selling jewelry, making crafts, sewing, etc. I need to get thinking and try to come up with something! Some people might say blogging is a hobby but I am not as avid of a blogger as a lot of people out there.
Here is my list of things I like and things I could be interested in (very random):
- Jewelry/shoes – what girl doesn’t like this!?
- Makeup – tried selling Mary Kay once and it was NOT for me.
- Photography with nature scenes – really need a new camera.
- House decorating – if I had an unlimited amount of money, my house would look like something out of a magazine. For now, I do a little at a time.
- Animals – I volunteered at an animal shelter after college and loved it.
- Gardening – I love flowers! Problem is….I don’t exactly have a “green thumb” hence why I hired a landscaper to do the work.
- Baking – I have one of these bad boys and its awesome! I have only used it a few times. I am afraid to experiment with new recipes because I have no will power and will eat everything I bake!
- The Beach – not sure what could come of this one…lol.
The biggest obstacle is trying find the time! I work full-time and then come home to a 7 month old. So this would be something I could do after she goes to bed and/or on the weekends. It’s hard to do much during the week since the hubby travels and his schedule varies each week.
There you have it! Any suggestions or ides for me? Do you have a hobby or something you enjoy doing and are good at? I would love to hear your thoughts!
Have a Happy 4th of July!
I am happy to report we have finally finished “upgrading” our loft space! The couch that was here before has now been moved downstairs and in its place, this awesome 4 person movie theater seating. Also updated are the walls with new paint and a new lamp! I am loving this color and think it looks great in this space. I have moved some decorative pieces from downstairs up here. We have a few more things to do in the loft but so far we have made great progress. AND this wasn’t even on my “to-do” list.
New Items in Loft:
- Brown leather blend reclining seats with 2 consoles: Rooms to Go
- Black and grey lamp: HomeGoods
- Xbox: Rob’s Father’s day gift!
- Paint: “rocky bluffs” by Valspar
Items Still need to Purchase:
- Window panels
- End table for the lamp
- Art for the wall behind the sofa
I have an update on the backyard! Remember in this post I talked about landscaping and doing something else to the backyard? Well, I am happy to report we are making progress! We still need to do some more landscaping and tackle our grass issue (or lack of grass). When we bought the house we paid extra for a screened in porch, which I love. Only downfall is that it doesn’t provide enough space for my wicker furniture AND a table. We decided to extend our patio! We still need to add mulch and get a table but we are making progress and it looks great! Thanks to the hubby and his father, they had the spot dug out and ready for concrete!
I am very excited to have an outdoor space! Now we just need a table and chairs! Do you have a backyard patio/deck? What improvements will you be making to your backyard this summer?
I am so excited that my friend Meghan over at Ratnam Residence, has nominated my blog for the Versatile Blogger Award (VBA)! Here are the VBA rules, courtesy of the VBA Blog:
- Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
- Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy — if you can figure out how to do it.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly. (I don’t know 15 blogs so my list is a bit smaller)
- Nominate those 15 (or how many you have) bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award — you might include a link to this site.
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
A BIG thanks to Ratnam Residence for the nomination! I have enjoyed reading all about Meghan’s life in Boston! She has a great blog so be sure to check it out! Next, things about myself:
- I HATE watching people brush their teeth! I know, very random. I can’t stand the site of saliva and seeing it makes me gag.
- Before I had Mikayla I wanted 3-4 kids, now I think 2 will do just fine!
- I have never broken a bone (knock on wood)! I played volleyball in HS and was (still am) very clumsy so I am shocked that I haven’t!
- I am OBSESSED with 90’s music. I love the 90’s station on pandora!
- My dream trip is to Bora Bora and Fiji. I love to travel to tropical places and this is a dream of mine.
- I am terrified of spiders. Yes, I hate all bugs but spiders are the worst! Since moving South we can now add cockroaches to the list! EWWW.
- I have the best poker face. I like to play practical jokes on people, especially in my office and I am the best at hiding them! No one ever knows it was me 😉
Below are links to some great blogs I follow and have nominated for the VBA!
Hope you enjoy all of these blogs as much as I have!
I am loving our new landscaping!! This was on my to-do list that I posted back on March 12th and I am glad I can cross it off! I think it makes such a difference and gives our house some great curb appeal! Some of the flowers look a little wilted and I am questioning if they will survive. I guess when they get re-planted they get “shocked” and it may take a few weeks to come back to life. I am still planning on doing something with the backyard but right now we have other plans for that! Stay tuned for the backyard post to come soon!
New shrubs and flowers consist of the following: White dogwood tree, red knockout roses, loropetalum, miscanthus, purple lantana, red azalea, pink lilies and a pink-orange hibiscus. We also have metal edging and dark brown cedar mulch.
Do you have any landscape plans for your house?
Spring already!? Time has been flying by and I am looking forward to all the beautiful spring flowers and awesome weather. Although, I really can’t complain about weather considering Charleston had a very mild winter. I only wore boots twice! One of my favorite spring time flowers is the azalea bush. Red to be exact. How pretty is this?
two several projects I would like to get done around the house but all require time and money, two things I really don’t have right now BUT I am obsessed with decorating and organizing! I think the best way to get my to-do list done is to prioritize and separate the “must do” vs. “would be nice to do”. Here is my “must do” list and the status of each:
- Landscaping. Our house sits on a corner and I feel so exposed to the street and we are in dire need of some curb appeal!! Landscaping will be done on the side and front of the house. I plan to tackle the backyard myself at some point this spring.
- Status/Plan to Complete: End of March for front and side. April/May for backyard.
- Back Porch Makeover. My wicker furniture is looking a little old! I found a great and easy way (HGTV.com) to restore wicker furniture. I will also add an outdoor rug, bamboo shades, and some flowers. Any other suggestions?
- Status/Plan to Complete: Not yet started. April/May
- Laundry Room Makeover. I love my laundry room! It is very spacious and has great areas for storage BUT needs a little TLC and organizing. The room came with some shelving but could use more. This will require the hubby’s awesome handy installation skills since I have zero. I also want to paint the room from one of the Sherwin Williams “Colors of Charleston” collection colors. I plan on using Carolina Peach. I will also add baskets on the shelves for extra storage and purchase one of those laundry bins that separates clothing into three slots. Does anyone currently have one of these? Do you like it? Any other suggestions for my laundry room?
- Status/Plan to Complete: Not yet started. Spring/Summer.
- Bathroom Style Upgrade. I love our bathrooms but feel they could use a little something in the decorating department. For the guest bath I want to purchase a new shower curtain and install shelving above the toilet. For the master bathroom I want to add some beachy prints to the walls and add more candles around the soaking tub.
- Status/Plan to Complete: Not yet started. Summer/Fall
There you have it! That is my list. I could probably add more but this is a good amount to tackle in the next few months. My main goal is to do this as cost effectively as possible! My favorite stores to shop are Kirklands, Marshalls, Home Goods and Pier One. Stay tuned as
I we tackle this list and post before and after pictures!
Do you have a spring time list of to-do’s? Would love to hear what is on your list!